Travel Conditions of Cyprus Public Transport Services (Operations) Limited (hereafter referred to as "Cyprus Public Transport").
These Travel Conditions set out customers' rights, restrictions on those rights and obligations as one of our customers. They are the conditions under which we carry any person and their property, and apply to any ticket or card which we have issued.
All persons who travel on a bus service provided by Cyprus Public Transport (hereinafter referred to as “we” or “us”) shall be deemed to have agreed to be carried according to these conditions.
These Conditions constitute the entire agreement between us and you. None of our employees are entitled to alter or vary any of the provisions of these Travel Conditions. We reserve the right to amend certain conditions at any time without specific notice.
We value our customers and we aim to provide a safe and efficient bus service. Our buses are cleaned and maintained regularly and are equipped with air-conditioning systems for added comfort.
We are committed to the environment. All our buses are fitted with the latest diesel engine technology resulting in low emissions. In fact, 143 buses are fitted with Euro 6 engines whilst the rest of the fleet are fitted with Euro 5 engines thus ensuring a minimal impact on the environment.
As a service company, we understand that our employees are the main contributors to our success. We respect and value the individuality and diversity that each employee brings and have strived to build a positive, open, working environment. For this reason, we encourage our employees to further develop relevant skills to progress their careers, and provide training for them both locally and abroad. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination/racism or sexual, physical, mental or other harassment of any kind toward our employees and customers, whether from our own employees or from customers, and we place the highest priority on the health and safety of our employees and customers and the safety of the environment in which they work.
We are committed to providing a varied range of fares and bus cards that are affordable and easy to use, so that you can choose the option which bests suits you and your travel needs.
It is our strong belief that criticism and suggestions help us improve our services, and want users to feel like they can participate in open dialogue with our officials. We will never ignore any feedback and commit to responding to all feedback as soon as possible.
Should you wish to contact us, you can do so through our Contact Us page, by contacting our customer service center on between 06:00hrs and 21:00hrs every week day, and between 08:00hrs and16:00hrs during weekends and holidays. You can use service to report, in a confidential manner, any misbehavior by any of our officials, or any accident or emergency involving one of our buses. Reports with respect to harassment or aggravations will be investigated urgently and the appropriate action taken as soon as possible.
We try to run all our buses on time. However, some things outside our control such as traffic congestion, road works, strike action or weather conditions might affect your journey. We will work with others to reduce the impact on customers wherever and in whatever ways this may be possible at the time.
In the event of the cancellation, withdrawal, delay, diversion or termination of any service, or in the event of the service being otherwise unavailable to you due to the service being fully occupied or otherwise, we shall not be liable for any losses, damage, costs or inconvenience that you suffer as a result.
If a particular bus stop is not going to be used, for any reason, we will post a notice to this effect as soon as possible and indicate the nearest alternative stops. Any changes to timetables will also be published on the relevant bus stops and on our website.
We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence, nor are your statutory rights as a consumer affected.
When travelling on our buses, you are subject to the following conditions:
• We reserve the right to refuse entry to or require you to leave our buses at any time for reasons of safety or because of your conduct. If you disobey such a request from a bus driver or company official, you may be immediately removed from the bus by the Police.
• Any passenger in contravention of these and other statutory regulations may be required to give their name and address to a member of staff. Passengers may be asked to leave any of our buses or our premises by our bus drivers or personnel. Passengers may also be restrained or removed from the bus or our premises by a Police Officer, at our request, if they are in breach of the law.
• We may also cancel your ticket and/or card without refund and take any other measures we consider necessary to protect the safety, well-being and comfort of our employees and other passengers.
Failure to comply with the statutory regulations or those set out in these Travel Conditions may result in us refusing to allow you to travel or to continue to travel.
In particular, as a passenger you must not:
• Smoke at any time and in any part of the bus or carry any lit pipe, cigar, cigarette, e-cigarette, match or lighter on the bus.
• Speak or behave in a manner that is abusive, threatening or likely to cause offence to other passengers or staff. Intending passengers who in the opinion of the driver appear likely to behave in an inappropriate manner or to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs or solvents may not be permitted to travel.
• Except in an emergency, speak to the driver whilst the bus is in motion, stand forward of the cab area, obstruct the driver’s vision or otherwise distract the driver from his / her duties.
• Obstruct any emergency exits, the vehicle entrance next to the driver, gangways or other locations on the bus in any way that would inhibit safety.
• Wilfully damage, deface, soil or otherwise misuse any fixture, fitting or other part of the vehicle including the seating, or attach any article to or throw any article from the vehicle.
• Take part in any other form of criminal activity or carry dangerous or legally prohibited items onto the vehicle in any way.
• Consume any type of alcohol or items of food or drink which may make other passengers' journeys unpleasant or otherwise cause offence.
• Play or operate any musical equipment (including radios or mobile phones) or instrument in a manner which may cause annoyance to other passengers.
• Wear rollerblades, skates, hover-boards or unsuitable footwear whilst on board our vehicles for safety reasons.
• Wear motorcycle helmets, ski masks or any type of headgear with a deliberate intention to hide your identity whilst on board our buses, for security reasons
Allow small children to be uncontrolled at any point when boarding, alighting or travelling on our services.
When travelling on our buses, please also consider the following:
• The driver is only permitted to open the doors at designated stopping places.
• When available passengers are to board using the front door and exit using the rear door.
• Luggage should be stored safely and should not obstruct the aisle.
• Never speak to or distract the driver while the bus is moving.
• Dangerous or flammable items should not be brought on board
• We will not tolerate intimidation or abuse on any of our employees and will press for the heaviest penalties if anyone is convicted of such behaviour.
• All vehicles are equipped with a CCTV system.
• Do not block the emergency exit.
• For your comfort and safety, our vehicles are equipped with health and safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits and emergency exit hammers. Please make sure that this equipment is only used if, and when appropriate. Anyone caught tampering with such safety equipment may be convicted of a crime.
• No standing beyond the yellow line.
• No soliciting is allowed on the bus.
• Do not place your feet on the seat.
• You must at any time have due regard for other passengers and our staff, and follow any instructions made by staff in relation to safety and the capacity of the bus. Every bus carries details of the maximum numbers of passengers it is permitted to carry and in what way passengers can be carried.
• Large school parties should be supervised by responsible adults and if you can provide us with advance notice of your travel plans, we can do our best to assist you.
• You must inform a member of staff immediately if you sustain an injury whilst boarding, travelling on, or alighting from a vehicle.
• Priority seating is provided on all buses for use by persons with mobility impairment, pregnant women, persons carrying infants and the elderly. You are kindly requested to vacate such seating in favour of the aforementioned categories of passengers.
Any passenger in contravention of these and other statutory regulations may be required to give their name and address to a bus driver or company employee. Passengers may also be asked to leave any of our buses. Furthermore, passengers may also be restrained or removed from the bus or our premises by a Police Officer, at our request, if they are in breach of the law.
Whilst we will do everything that we reasonably can to control the conduct of other passengers on our buses, we cannot be held responsible for their conduct.
Boarding, alighting and stopping
Buses will stop to pick and set down passengers at recognised stopping places which are identified by a Bus Stop sign. If you wish to board a bus, you should indicate clearly to the driver of an approaching bus. You must not attempt to board or alight from a vehicle which is moving or standing still at locations other than recognised stopping points.
For safety reasons, passengers cannot be picked up at any place other than the official boarding bay at any of our terminals. Shortly before the bus reaches your intended alighting point, you should alert the driver by ringing the bell once.
Fares are charged in accordance with the fares regulated by TRANSPORT OPERATOR LAWS 2001 TO 2017 (LAW 101(I)/2001)
Passengers are to note the following conditions:
• Passengers who purchase tickets from our drivers should ensure that a new ticket is issued from the ticket machine which corresponds to the amount paid and is valid for the journey. Please note that different fares apply for night services.
• Drivers may refuse to accept cash notes larger than €20. Passengers have to always check their change. The company will not be responsible for any mistakes once passenger move away from the driver.
• You should check any change and point out any discrepancies to the driver immediately as we cannot correct mistakes later.
• Except where it is specifically stated to the contrary, tickets, bus cards or other relevant documentation are not transferable from the person they are issued to. You cannot use a ticket for more than one person during the same journey.
• Our drivers or company officials will have the right to withdraw your ticket or bus card in cases of any irregularities.
Please also consider the following
• To facilitate boarding, please give the exact fare whenever you can – drivers may refuse to accept notes larger than €20;
• For bus card users, you must validate your card every time you board the bus. This is proof that you have paid – please keep it with you for the whole journey;
• For cash ticket users, your ticket is proof that you have paid - please keep it with you for the whole journey;
• You must retain any ticket which is valid for your journey, or a validated Motion Bus card which is issued in your name or a validated non-personalised card for possible inspection by a one of our officials throughout your journey. If you are unable to show this or if it has expired or been altered or tampered with, or if your card has not been validated when boarding the bus, you will be liable to pay another fare for the journey together with a penalty fare of €50 without prejudice to further action that we may take. Any passenger who fails to pay the penalty fare shall be guilty of an offence. We will not refund you this fare if you later find the missing ticket or other document;
• Anybody in breach of these requirements may be blacklisted and therefore not issued with any personalised Motion Bus card in the future at the sole discretion of the company.
More information on fares, tickets and cards can be found here.
Additional Terms and Conditions for Bus Fares and Cards apply. Click here.
For your safety, subject to space being available and always at the discretion of the driver, we will carry one wheelchair (without the need for third party assistance) or up to two buggies, prams or pushchairs on a bus. Any item using the ramp must be no heavier than the weight limit shown.
The dimensions of the priority area generally permit the carriage of a wheelchair up to a maximum size of 120cm long by 70cm wide.
During travel, buggies, prams, pushchairs, wheelchairs, shopping trolleys must be safely positioned within the low floor area and/or priority space so that they are stable and do not cause an obstruction or hazard to other customers.
Drivers will advise of any circumstances where it is not possible to allow wheelchair users to travel safely. This includes their own health, safety and security as well as that of the disabled customer, other passengers or members of the public, or the vehicle and its equipment.
The driver has the discretion to ask that pushchairs and buggies are folded at busy times, or to request occupants of the designated area to move elsewhere on the vehicle if a customer wishes to board with a wheelchair. Passengers should co-operate in allowing proper use of the priority space by vacating it if necessary, in favour of a wheelchair user.
For safety reasons, bicycles cannot be carried on board our buses unless they are purpose-built folded bicycles which fit in the appropriate luggage areas. Bus drivers reserve the right to refuse any such cycles which may pose a risk to other passengers.
Use of Mobility Scooters and Motorised Wheelchairs
Our priority is the safety of our passengers and due to size and weight restrictions, it may not be safe or possible to use all motorised wheelchairs or mobility scooters.
Mobility scooters and motorised wheelchairs that will be considered as being fit to travel on board one of our buses must meet the following specifications:
• Have a maximum width of 60cm
• Have a maximum length of 100cm
• Have a turning radius of 120cm
• Be able to travel at speeds not in excess of 6.4kpm (mobility scooters that can travel at speeds in access of that prescribed will only be certified as being able to travel on board our buses if the vehicle can have its speed reduced to 6.4kpm)
• Have a maximum weight of 300kg (including the passenger)
In order to facilitate use of mobility scooters on our buses, you will need to have your mobility scooter certified.
This will include a sticker that will need to be affixed in a place where it is easily visible by the bus driver, preferably on the front upper part of the scooter. This sticker can only be used with the scooter that has been certified.
When in doubt, please contact us for assistance.
The following restrictions in relation to the carriage of mobility scooters and motorised wheelchairs apply:
1. Mobility scooters which have not been certified as described above may be refused carriage on board our buses.
2. If the designated wheelchair space is taken up by another user with a mobility scooter or wheelchair, it will not be possible for the mobility scooter user to travel on that bus.
3. If it is deemed that the carriage of the scooter poses an obstruction or hazard to other occupants of our bus. Such dangers include but are not limited to exposed mechanical/ electrical wiring, leaking of fluids from the scooter and protruding objects from the scooter;
4. If it is deemed that there is abuse or misuse of the Mobility Scooter Permit conditions of carriage. The Mobility Scooter Permit may be withdrawn if such misuse or abuse is identified.
Please follow the following instructions when using a mobility scooter on board buses:
1. When boarding or alighting a bus using a mobility scooter please ensure that you enter or exit the bus head on, that is facing the entrance of the bus when boarding or your back to the bus when alighting;
2. Once on board a bus, as a mobility scooter user you must ensure that the scooter is placed in the designated wheelchair space and with the back resting against the backrest;
3. The scooter motor must be switched off;
4. Scooters must not be overloaded with items (such as shopping bags).
The Mobility Scooter Permit can be revoked in instances where:
• It is evident that the permit has been tampered with;
• Where a permit is used against another mobility scooter which is not certified;
• Where because a mobility scooter is covered by a Mobility Scooter Sticker, additional financial gain is sought from persons seeking to hire such mobility aids.
Please note that the Mobility Scooter Permit does not certify that a passenger can travel with his mobility scooter on board a bus but that a mobility scooter can travel on board a bus, hence a passenger may only travel using the particular scooter which is licenced.
For the safety and comfort of all our customers, we reserve the right to refuse or restrict the size and type of luggage or other belongings that you can bring on our buses. You may bring small items of luggage or other belongings with you at the discretion of the driver, providing they are not bulky or are likely to present a danger or nuisance to other passengers or staff. You remain responsible at all times for the safe carriage, stability and handling of any items you bring on board, including liquids or paint which must be in sealed containers and within appropriate bags.
You may not be allowed to travel if the available space for carriage of luggage is already full or if, in the opinion of the driver, your luggage or belongings will block gangways and access to emergency exits on the bus. We cannot be held responsible for any loss or inconvenience to you if you are refused travel under these circumstances, or if you suffer loss or damage to luggage or other belongings whilst on the bus.
In the interests of passenger safety, combustible or otherwise hazardous objects or materials cannot be carried under any circumstances; these include unsealed heavy batteries and petrol. However, customers who use a single portable oxygen cylinder or unit for personal medical reasons will be carried subject to a limit of one cylinder on the bus at any time. Cylinders should always be stored or handled in accordance with supplier's or manufacturer's instructions.
Guide dogs, hearing dogs and assistance dogs will be carried at any time.
All other animals, that will not be a danger or nuisance to other passengers or staff, are allowed to travel on our services only if they are placed in suitable containers or carriers and held on the accompanying person's laps. If you bring any animal onto a bus, you will be held responsible for any damage, loss or injury arising from its presence on the bus.
We will do all that we reasonably can to locate and return any property left on our buses to its owner.
Should you find something that does not belong to you, kindly give it to the drivers on duty and they will hand it over to one of our departments.
If you have lost something on one of our buses, please contact us right away. Property which is not reclaimed within 48 hours, that is not perishable or objectionable, will be forwarded to the Police where it can be collected by the owner.